Deloitte Audit & Assurance Data Science Intern - Summer/Fall 2024, Winter 2025 in Boston, Massachusetts
Position Summary Do you have a passion for artificial intelligence, machine learning, and data analysis? Do you constantly wonder what you could build if only you had access to world-class data sets and computing resources? If your answer is "yes," we have just the internship for you.
In Deloitte's Audit and Assurance business, we make businesses and markets better. An audit is more than an obligation; it is an opportunity to see further and deeper into businesses. In our role as independent auditors, we enhance trust in the companies we audit, helping a multitrillion dollar capital markets system function with greater confidence. As we aspire to the very highest standards of audit quality, we deliver deeper insights that can help clients become more effective organizations.
Deloitte's Audit and Assurance business embraces the promise of artificial intelligence and machine learning, with various forms of AI and ML embedded in the audit technology solutions currently used by our 10,000+ practitioners today. Within our dedicated Data Science organization, a subgroup of our award-winning Audit Transformation group, we continue that journey enabling the next generation of AI-enabled solutions that usher in a future that completely transforms the way our practitioners perform their audit work, and the insights we can provide to our clients.
Work You Will Perform
As a Data Science Intern, you will be a part of a team of talented professionals in a fast-paced, yet collaborative startup-like environment dedicated to realizing the Deloitte Audit and Assurance vision of an AI-enabled audit. You will leverage the latest advancements in machine learning, large language models, and knowledge graphs to lead our business into the future.
You will bring your knowledge of state-of-the-art machine learning techniques to our existing workstreams within the Data Science group. You will actively participate in all aspects of a data science project including exploratory data analysis, feature generation and selection, model creation, and model optimization. You must be a problem solver with an open mind and an eagerness to pick up new skills.
Specifically, you will be expected to:
• Apply data science practices on your specific assigned workstreams; particularly:
o Develop and document proofs of concept to verify ideas
o Perform exploratory data analysis
o Select appropriate machine learning models, and build and train working versions of those models using Python and other open-source tools
o Score and explain the performance of the models you build
• Collaborate daily with Data Science Managers and Data Scientists to receive guidance and feedback on your work and ensure alignment with workstream objectives
• Contribute to the planning and direction of a project and effectively prioritize your tasks and objectives to meet the goals of the project
• Contribute to internal discussions on emerging machine learning methodologies
• Current student in a BS, MS, or PhD program in a quantitative field (computational linguistics, computer science, engineering, mathematics, physics, machine learning, statistics, etc.).
• Coursework related to machine learning, deep learning, and programming
• Experience using advanced artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques such as:
o NLP-topic modeling, sentiment analysis, NER, text summarization
o LLMs-using generative LLMs (such as OpenAI's models, and open-source models like LLaMa) for various tasks, including Q&A, information extraction, summarization, and generation
o Knowledge Graph-ontology creation and graph representation of specific domains to be used as part of deployed systems
• Experience with deep learning tools such as Theano, PyTorch, Tensorflow, etc.
• Experience with version control practices and tools (Git, etc.)
• Proficiency using Python and relevant libraries ( NumPy, Pandas, Scikit-learn, NLTK, spaCy, PyTorch-NLP, Gensim, etc. )
• Demonstrated ability to write high-quality code
• Demonstrated ability to develop machine learning models
- • Outstanding collaboration, interpersonal and communication (verbal & written) skills in English is required
The wage range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for the applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. At Deloitte, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $40/hour to $40/hour.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.